Latvia is part of European Union and offers world class education in different study fields – Engineering, Medicine, Business, Tourism, Public Relations, Banking, Nature Sciences and Social Sciences. Latvia offers modern and safe study environment; internationally recognized academic staff; very competitive tuition fees, reasonable living costs and the degrees obtained in Latvia are recognized in all European Union countries.
The focus of Higher education in Latvia is on interactive learning and practical experience.
The following websites provides complete information about the higher education system, study programs for international students and practical information about student life in Latvia:
Complete information about studies in Latvia for foreigners: www.studies.lv
Official information provided by The State Education Development Agency: http://www.studyinlatvia.lv/
Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Latvia: http://www.izm.gov.lv/
Higher Education Quality Evaluation Centre: http://www.aiknc.lv/
Academic Information Centre: http://www.aic.lv/
How to apply for a residence permit to study in Latvia: Pakistan nationals
Nationals of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan who intend to enter Latvia on study purposes, are subjected to apply for the residence permit at the Embassy of Latvia in Uzbekistan in person. Once the decision by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs of Latvia on granting rights of residence is made, student can apply for a long stay visa at the Embassy of Latvia in Uzbekistan.
Here are the steps how to apply for the residence permit:
A. Student must receive an official invitation from the University. The invitation is filed in the Office of Citizenship and Migration (OCMA) by the University representative. Student must provide the invitation number upon submitting the documents.
B. Student should arrange an appointment with the Consular Section of the Embassy to submit the documents. The appointment is arranged in the electronic appointment system of the Embassy of Latvia in Uzbekistan here. Note: Residence permit application is submitted in person only. No documents are accepted by mail.
C. During the appointment the applicant should submit all the required documents and have an interview with the Consular Officer. Below is the list of the required documents:
- A definite sample form for a residence permit request;
- A photo;
- Invitation number;
- Study contract;
- Letter confirming the envisaged place of residence;
- Police certificate;
- Certificates of previous education;
- Academic Information center (AIC) certificate if it has been issued;
- A document confirming the necessary subsistence. For students in 2021, minimum subsistence is 6 000 EUR or its equivalent in foreign currency.
- If another person is paying for the studies – affidavit of financial support and documents clarifying the source of income;
- Other certificates and documents student deems relevant (e.g. IELTS, professional experience certificates, study course diploma etc.).
School diplomas and police certificate have to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and at the Embassy of Pakistan in Uzbekistan.
D. At the Embassy of Latvia, the consular and state fees have to be paid:
- state fee for the legalization of documents – 30 EUR for one document (15 EUR per document if the student does not require the return of original document);
- consular fee for the application – 80 EUR;
- state fee for the application:
a. 70 EUR for the review of the application in 30 days’ time after the documents have reached Latvia (for master and doctor students the review in 30 days’ time is for free);
b. 200 EUR for the review of the application in 10 working days after the documents have reached Latvia;
c. 400 EUR for the review of the application in 5 working days after the documents have reached Latvia.
At the Embassy, the payment is possible by card only. Visa, MasterCard, Maestro and American Express are accepted at the Embassy.
Note: It takes up to 8 weeks to review the application.
Note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the documents are sent from the Embassy to Latvia less frequently than before. In case of urgency, the applicant can arrange the shipment of his/her documents via courier mail companies operating in Uzbekistan.
E. Residence permit application is reviewed by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) of Latvia. If the decision of OCMA is positive the student can apply for D type visa. List of the required documents for D type visa:
- 2 photos, on white background, 70% should be covered by the face; 1 photo should be attached to the application form itself, the 2nd photo should be submitted separately along with your application;
- E-Visa application form for Latvian National Visa D filled in on our web-site, printed out and signed in relevant boxes of the application form which are marked by “signature” note. Visa application form is available on the web-site https://epak.pmlp.gov.lv/NVIS.EService001.WebSite/ApplicationInquiry.aspx;
- Health insurance for the period of 30 days from the date of arrival to Latvia, insurance coverage amount should be not less than 42 600 €;
- Cору of ticket booking;
- A written confirmation from University regarding the matriculation of the student and the necessity of the presence of student in Latvia;
- Non-refundable fee of 60 EUR to be paid by card during the appointment (no fee is required for master and doctor student).
D type visa is issued within few days up to 10 days.