CABINET OF MINISTERS OF THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA
December 23, 1997, Riga
Regulations No. 429(protocol. No. 72 2ï¬‚ )
REGULATIONS OF THE CONTROL COMMITTEE OF STRATEGIC GOODS
Issued in accordance with article 14 chpt. 3 of the Law ^^On the Structure of the Cabinet of Ministers^^.
I. General provisions
1. The Control Committee of Strategic Goods (hereinafter - ^^The Committee^^) is an Interministerial Committee created by the Cabinet of Ministers..
2. The underlying task of the Committee shall be to manage and to develop Latvian control system of production, stockpiling, use, export, import and transit of strategic goods and to implement licencing and control of strategic goods.
II. Obligations and functions of the Committee
3. To perform the tasks specified in the article 2 of these regulations the Committee has the functions as follows>
3.1. to issue lists of controlled goods<
3.2. to issue the blank forms of export, import and transit control documents (licences, certificates, notices e.t.c.)
3.3. to issue licences for export, import and transit of strategic goods and import certificates
3.4. in accordance with the law ^^On Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and Use of Chemical Weapons and on their Destruction^^ to carry out obligations stated in article VII par. 4 of the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and Use of Chemical Weapons and on their Destruction (hereinafter - CWC)
3.5. to demand from physical or legal persons any information necessary for implementation of requirements of CWC connected with activities of said persons in chemical industry or export and import of chemical substances.
3.6. To delegate functions mentioned in 3.4. and 3.5. to the Latvian Development Agency (Latvian Export and Import Control Department).
4. The Committee has obligations as follows:
4.1. to prepare the drafts of normative acts necessary to ensure control of production, stockpiling, use, export, import and transit of strategic goods
4.2. to co-ordinate foreign assistance for the control system of strategic goods
4.3. to represent the Republic of Latvia in international export control regime organisations and international negotiations on problems related to the control of strategic goods
4.4. to prepare draft agreements with international organisations on prohibition and control of chemical. biological and other weapons of mass destruction, international export control regimes and export control authorities of other countries
4.5. to prepare and to submit to the Minister of Foreign Affairs proposals on joining of the Republic of Latvia to international conventions and agreements on Non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and on joining corresponding international organisations
4.6. to ensure confidentiality of information concerning production, stockpiling, use, export, import and transit of strategic goods
III. Committee members and procedure
5. The Committee shall be composed of authorised representatives of the ministries nominated by the Cabinet of Ministers, as well as the Director of Export and Import Control Department of the Latvian Development Agency and his deputies. The draft decision on the Committee Members shall be submitted to the Cabinet of Ministers by the Minister of Foreign Affairs after consultations with concerned ministries.
6. The Committee is run by the Chairman of the Committee nominated by the Cabinet of Ministers. The Chairman nominates two deputies and the Secretary of the Committee from the members of the Committee and specifies duties of the members of the Committee.
7. The regular meetings of the Committee shall be held once in a quarter of year. The extraordinary meetings of the Committee shall be called by the Chairman of the Committee or by at least three members of the Committee.
8. The form of the Committee meetings shall be closed sittings. Only the members of the Committee and invited persons shall take part in the meetings. The Committee members are invited in written form enclosing the agenda of the meeting.
9. To pass a decision of the Committee the presence of half of its members shall be mandatory. The member of the Committee representing a ministry or an institution under supervision of the ministry has veto rights on the vote if the decision concerns the competence of this ministry or institution and its motivated objections are not taken into account.
10. The decisions to issue, annul or to deny export, import or transit licences or import certificates, to forward the case to the technical experts or to prolong the term of validity of licences or import certificates shall be made by the Person authorised by the Committee.
11. The decisions of the Committee shall be passed by an open vote. The decision shall be passed by majority of votes if the veto rights are not used. In the case of even vote the decisive vote belongs to the Chairman of the Committee. In case when the veto rights has been used the Committee hand over the case to the Minister of Foreign Affairs to solve.
12. The rights to sign documents has the Chairman of the Committee, his deputies and the Secretary of the Committee.
13. Between the sittings of the Committee the functions of the control system of strategic goods shall be carried out by the Secretary of Committee.
IV. Final provisions
13. To consider invalid
13.1. Regulations of the Cabinet of Ministers No. 167, June 27, 1995 ^^Regulations of the Control Committee of Strategic Export and Import^^ (Latvijas Vestnesis, 1995, No 101< 1996, No 164)
13.3. Regulations of the cabinet of ministers No. 362, September 24, 1996 ^^Amendments to regulations of the Cabinet of Ministers No. 167, June 27, 1995 ^^Regulations of the Control Committee of Strategic Export and Import^^ (Latvijas Vestnesis, 1996, No 164).
Prime Minister of the Republic of Latvia
Minister of Foreign Affairs