- a valid travel document which has been issued within the previous 10 years, contains at least two blank pages for visas and is valid at least 3 months after the expiration date of the visa;
- a completed and signed ONLINE APPLICATION FORM. The computer completed application form has to be printed out, signed (at the end of the application form) and submitted to the Embassy. In case several persons (minors or a spouse) are covered by the same travel document, individual application forms must be filled in and signed by the persons concerned; in case of minors must be signed by the parental authority or the legal guardian. A minor at least 15 years old may file and sign the visa application themselves;
- 1 passport-size recent (not older than 6 months) color photo (35mm x 45mm) with a light background, including the entire face, without head-dress. Requirements for the quality of the passport photo can be found here;
- an insurance policy valid in Schengen countries with a coverage of at least 50.000 USD for the entire duration of stay in Schengen area. Please note that the insurance policy should cover medical, hospital and repatriation costs. Further information regarding insurance policy can be found here;
- payment – the application fee is accepted by money order made out to the Embassy of Latvia or paid by bank card at the Embassy. The application fee is 100 USD (80 EUR). For the citizens of the Russian Federation, Ukraine, Moldova, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan the fee is 50 USD (35 EUR). Information on visa fee waiver policy can be found here.
- proof of legal residence in the USA. Original of valid US alien registration card (permanent residence permit, green card) or valid US resident visa. The US residence permit or visa should be valid at least three months beyond the intended departure from the territory of the Schengen Member States;
- purpose of entry – an invitation (including the invitation number approved by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs), either invitation letter or document proving an organized trip. NB! When applying for short term visa at the Consulate General of Estonia in New York, Consulates General of Poland in Los Angeles and Houston or Consulate General of Lithuania in Chicago, please inform in advance your inviting party in Latvia to form the official invitation in the English language;
documents in relation to accommodation (hotel reservation or an invitation approved by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs if staying with the inviting party);
means of transportation (round trip ticket or ticket reservation);
sufficient means of subsistence for the duration of the intended stay (records of bank account transactions in the past 3 months; credit card together with turnover printouts; letter from employer regarding salary);
information which confirms your intention to leave the Schengen area (letter from the employer or an educational institution);
pre-paid, self-addressed secure mail envelope (FedEx, UPS, DHL to return the passport) or Money Order made out to the Embassy of Latvia or paid by bank card at the Embassy in the amount of 40 USD to send your passport with visa by FedEx overnight shippment.
Visa application should be submitted at least 15 business days before the intended visit and no earlier than 6 months prior.
U.S. citizens do not need a visa to travel to Latvia if their stay does not exceed 90 days in a half year. After the expiry of the maximum permitted duration of stay – 90 days within any 180-day period – the third-country national, without leaving the territory of Latvia, can extend his/her stay in Latvia for up to another 90 days depending on the period laid down in the bilateral visa waiver agreement between Latvia and the respective country.
After the expiry of the time period laid down in the Schengen Convention and respective bilateral agreement, the third-country national must leave the territory of the Schengen area or the territory of Latvia, if he/she is entering another member state of the Schengen area with which his/her country of nationality has signed a bilateral visa waiver agreement.
A repeated entry into Schengen countries including Latvia is possible after a 90-day interval subsequent to leaving the Schengen area. This also applies to cases when the third-country national has not used up all the duration of stay provided for in the bilateral visa waiver agreement.
The third-country national is under obligation to provide proof of his/her stay outside the Republic of Latvia for at least 90 days after the expiry of the permitted length of stay, if this is not proved by border crossing stamps.
If travel to Latvia is related with work, study or residence as a self-employed person, a U.S. citizen is required to obtain a temporary residence permit.