Procedure for permanent accreditation of foreign media representatives to Latvia
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises that on 24 October 2006, the Regulation of the Cabinet of Ministers on the Accreditation Procedure for foreign media journalists and other representatives by the accrediting institution was adopted.
The Regulation determines that permanent foreign media representatives shall be accredited by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in accordance with the above-mentioned Regulation for a period of one year.
An accreditation card is the key source of authorisation for foreign media representatives and members of their families to obtain multiple service visas for their period of stay in Latvia.
The Regulation was issued because the previous in-house regulation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had ceased to be binding for third parties due to a change in the law.
Media representatives are requested to file the documents required for accreditation to the Foreign Ministry in due time, since processing of the documents takes one month.
The following documents shall be required for permanent accreditation:
- a completed and signed media representative accreditation application form;
- two photographs (size 35 x 25 mm);
- a letter from the head of the medium, indicating:
3.1. a short description of the medium;
3.2. request to accredit the specific representative;
3.3. request to issue a service visa to the representative, if necessary;
- a copy of the representative's press card;
- a copy of the representative's passport;
- Curriculum vitae;
- description of the representative's creative work or copies of articles of the past year;
- programme for the anticipated duration of stay, or a short description of the purpose of visit.
A media representative may present the above-mentioned documents in the following manner:
- by delivering to the Press Centre (office hours from 8.30 a.m. till 5.00 p.m.; telephone 7016272);
- by mailing to the Press Centre (3 Krisjana Valdemara Street, LV 1395 Riga, Latvia);
- by delivering to the embassy, a diplomatic or consular representation of the Republic of Latvia abroad.
For more detailed information Accreditation Procedure for Journalists and other Media Representatives