Due to COVID19 pandemics as per Cabinet of the Republic of Latvia regulations No. 360 adopted on 9th of June 2020, currently ONLY following categories of travellers are allowed to enter to Latvia:
- the nationals of the Republic of Latvia and their family members whose permanent place of residence is abroad, and also foreigners who, by crossing the territory of the Republic of Latvia in transit, are returning to the country of their permanent place of residence;
- the nationals of the European Union, European Economic Area, and Switzerland and their family members, and also persons who are permanently residing in these countries in order to return to their country of residence, including in the Republic of Latvia, by crossing the territory of the Republic of Latvia in transit;
- the employees of the transport and carriage of passengers service providers, the crews of freight or technical voyages who arrive in the Republic of Latvia or exit it upon fulfilling work duties;
- the carriage of passengers referred to in Sub-paragraphs 35.1, 35.1.1, 35.2, 35.3, and 35.4 of the Regulation;
- seafarers who must reach their work place aboard a ship or must return from it;
- foreigners the need for bringing in of whom for the fulfilment of the commitments of merchants in Latvia has been certified by the Investment and Development Agency of Latvia on the basis of the criteria referred to in Paragraph 59 of the Regulation;
- foreign diplomats and their family members who are crossing the territory of the Republic of Latvia in transit for the performance of the official functions, and also holders of the diplomatic passport of the Republic of Latvia, the civil servants and employees of the diplomatic and consular service and their family members who return from their service country or who need to get to their service country;
- the nationals of Latvia who are the members of official delegations or who need to get to their work place within the framework of an intergovernmental project;
- full-time and exchange programme students if a higher education institution or college has issued a written certification on the matriculation of the student and organisation of studies on site;
- athletes and sports employees, and also representatives of international sports organisations whose arrival in the territory of the Republic of Latvia is connected with participation as an accredited person in an international sporting event organised by a sports federation recognised in accordance with the procedures laid down by the Sports Law or a member thereof if the aforementioned person can present a document that they have undergone laboratory testing for the diagnostics of COVID-19 not earlier than three days before arrival in the territory of the Republic of Latvia and that COVID-19 infection was not found therein.
Information on Epidemiological Safety Measures for the Containment of the Spread of COVID-19 Infection and self-isolation requirements upon arrival to Latvia are available on the Official COVID19 pandemics in Latvia informative webpage https://covid19.gov.lv/index.php/en and at hotline 8345.
ALL travelers currently arriving to Latvia from India are required to undergo 14 DAYS SELF-ISOLATION!
A residence permit is a document providing a foreigner the rights to reside in the Republic of Latvia for a definite period of time (a temporary residence permit) or permanently (a permanent residence permit). A residence permit is necessary if you are willing to reside in the Republic of Latvia for a period of time exceeding 90 days within half a year counting from the first day of entrance
A residence permit is issued by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs in Latvia (OCMA)
Citizens and residents (who have their residence permit issued by the official authorities) of following countries are eligible to apply for a residence permit and long stay visa at the Embassy of Latvia in India:
Republic of India; People's Republic of Bangladesh; Republic of Maldives; Republic of the Union of Myanmar; Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal; Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A RESIDENCE PERMIT
Step 1 – Fill out/print/sign up the Application form for requiring a residence permit
Download and fill out the Application for requiring a residence permit. Upon completion of the application form, print the form and sign it. Application form must be filled out in BLOCK letters.
NOTE: if the submitted application form is incomplete or contains false information, your application may be denied.
Step 2 – Collect all required documentation
Carefully check that you have collected all required documentation. For the list of documents please refer to the homepage of the OCMA.
NOTE: the consular officer may request additional documents upon submission depending on each individual case.
Step 3 – Legalise documents
The documents being issued abroad must be legalized. When submitting copies of documents that are not certified by a notary, originals of such documents must be presented.
Document legalisation requires several steps:
- Translation into English or Latvian
- Legalisation at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Step 4 - Submit the application and the fee at the Embassy in person
- purpose of your visit;
- name and surname & date of birth;
- Passport Number;
- your phone number.
Please find the pricelist for the residence permit processing on the webpage of the OCMA.
State and Consular fees for the residence permiet application submission at the Embassy is payable by the international credit/debite card only. Please note that American Express card is not accpeted at the Embassy.
The fee is non-refundable. The Embassy is not responsible for costs that can be incurred if a residence permit is refused.
NOTE: Residence permit application processing time starts at the moment the application is received at the OCMA in Latvia; not from the moment the documents have been submitted at the Embassy.
Step 5 – Decision on granting the Residence permit
The decision on granting the residence permit is being taken by the OCMA within the chosen time frame. The decision is being send to your inviting party (if applicable) and the Embassy of Latvia in India.
If the decision is positive one has to apply for the Long Stay visa with the validity of 30 days in order to travel to Latvia and obtain the residence permit card.
NOTE: Embassy is not providing any translation services!
Step 7 – Obtain the residence permit
After arrival to the Republic of Latvia make an appointment and visit the OCMA in order to obtain the residence permit or to a regional division and receive a residence permit. For additional information please refer to the homepage of OCMA.
OCMA contact details:
OCMA RESIDENCE PERMIT DIVISION
Telephone: 00 371 67219644 Fax: 00 371 67219654
Address: Čiekurkalna 1. līnija 1, k-3, LV-1026