A residence permit is necessary if a foreigner is willing to reside in the Republic of Latvia for a period of time exceeding 90 days within half a year counting from the first day of entrance. A residence permit is issued by the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs in Latvia (OCMA). Citizens of third countries who are residents of the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland can submit the documents to the Embassy of Latvia to the United Kingdom, located in London. Please find information regarding needed documents and requirements on the webpage of OCMA as well as the pricelist.
The consular fee for document submission at the Embassy is 110 EUR (PAYABLE BY VISA, VISA ELECTRON, MAESTRO, MASTER CARD ONLY), or 80 EUR:
- if documents are submitted with a temporary residence application for the spouse of a citizen of Latvia, a non-citizen of Latvia and a foreigner who holds a permanent residence permit, his or her minor child or a person under guardianship or trusteeship, as well as for a pupil of an accredited educational institution or a full-time student;
- if documents are submitted with a permanent residence application for a foreigner who is a minor child of a citizen of Latvia, non-citizen of Latvia or of a foreigner who holds a permanent residence permit, or who had been a citizen of Latvia or non-citizen of Latvia prior to obtaining another citizenship.
The residence permit application processing time starts at the moment that the application is received at OCMA in Rīga and not from the moment that the documents have been submitted to the Embassy.
Documents required when applying for a D-type visa (residence permit visa) when the applicant has received a positive answer for the residence permit from the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs:
- visa application form completed, printed and signed by the applicant;
- a valid passport;
- a UK residence permit or a long term visa;
- 1 size colour photo (35mmx45mm);
- travel medical insurance for 30 days;
visa fee 60 EUR, payable by bank card only.