Documents required for a visa applications of a family member of EU/EEA national

03.07.2020. 18:08

Documents required for a visa applications of a family member of EU/EEA national

Please check the title on your UK residence card/sticker to establish whether you hold a "Residence Permit" or "Residence Documentation". THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AND DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS APPLY.

If you hold an EU/EEA Residence Card (in the UK a sticker in the passport entitled Residence Documentation) according to Article 5, cf. Article 10 of EU Directive 38/2004 or EU4Fam issued in Ireland and if you are travelling together with your spouse/partner or joining your spouse/partner in Latvia, you do not need a visa to go to Latvia.

Please note that the residence documents issued under the UK's Settled Status scheme do not exempt from the visa requirement.

The old style stamp preceding the EU Residence Documentation sticker is also accepted for visa free travel as long as it refers to the holder being a family member of an EU/EEA national exercising Treaty Rights.



The permanent stay Residence Documentation sticker is also valid for visa free travel. 

If you are travelling to another EU/EEA country other than Latvia you should check with that country's embassy in the UK whether they also accept you as being visa exempt.

It is advisable to print this page and to present it together with your letter from UK Border Agency regarding your Residence Documentation and proof of your relationship with the EU/EEA national to the airline at the point of departure or Latvian Border Control on entry into Latvia in case of any problems. 

If you hold different type of residence permit (none of the above) please submit all required documents for the visa application if you are traveling together or joining spouse/partner in Latvia:

  • Visa application form completed online, printed on 5 pages and signed by the applicant. One parent/legal guardian must sign application form for minors
  • One recent color passport photograph (A recent color passport photo. Measuring 35mm x 45mm. The photo should bear close resemblance to your current appearance and you should be facing the camera directly.
  • Passport/travel document. The passport/travel document must have two blank pages for the visa sticker and notes of border crossing. Your passport/travel document must be valid for at least 3 months after your visit to Latvia/Schengen area (or in the case of several visits, after the last intended date of departure) and must have been issued withinthe previous 10 years. If you have travelled in the Schengen area in the last 3 years, and your previous Schengen visas are in an expired passport, it is preferred that you submit the expired passport.
  • Residence permit or long term visa issued in the United Kingdom valid for at least 3 months beyond the intended departure from the Schengen area.
  • Marriage certificate or proof of same address for at least 24 months for cohabitating partners (originals presented and copy submitted). If the Marriage certificate is not issued in the EU or EEA Member State or Swiss Confederation, it needs to be legalized. See link.
  • Passport of spouse/partner – original or notary verified copy presented and copy submitted.
  • Approval that you are travelling together or joining your spouse/partner in Latvia (tickets or written approval by spouse/partner).

No visa fee for visa application processing is charged

If you DO NOT TRAVEL TOGETHER with your spouse or do not join your spouse in Latvia, see general visa application requirements.

Please note that Citizens of Latvia have to inform Authorities of Latvia regarding their marriage. See link

Harmonised list of supporting documents to be submitted by applicants for short stay visas in United Kingdom