To be granted permanent accreditation for 2020, a journalist of foreign mass media (foreign journalist) must submit the following documents:
1. a completed and signed media representative accreditation application form;
2. two photographs (size 35 x 25 mm);
3. a letter from the head of the media outlet, indicating:
3.1. a short description of the media outlet;
3.2. request to accredit the specific representative;
3.3. request to issue an official visa to the representative, if necessary;
4. a copy of the representative’s press card;
5. a copy of the representative’s passport;
6. Curriculum vitae;
7. description of the representative's creative work or copies of articles for the past year;
8. programme for the anticipated duration of stay or a short description of the purpose of visit.
A media representative may present the above-mentioned documents in the following manner:
1. by delivering the documents in person to the Communications Group at Krišjāņa Valdemāra iela 3, Riga (previous appointment arranged by calling +371 7015988);
2. by mailing the documents to the Communications Group (Krišjāņa Valdemāra iela 3, LV-1395 Riga, Latvia);
3. by presenting the documents at an embassy, a representation or a consulate of the Republic of Latvia abroad.
The accreditation of foreign media representatives in Latvia is covered by the Regulation of the Cabinet of Ministers on the Accreditation procedure for foreign media journalists and other representatives by the accrediting institution (original text in Latvian).
Under the Regulation, a journalist is regarded as a permanent representative of foreign media in Latvia, if he or she resides and works in Latvia, or arrives in Latvia on a regular basis (several times a month) with the aim of creating news items or articles about the current processes and events in Latvia.
An accredited journalist is issued with an Accreditation Card, which is the key source of authorisation for foreign media representatives and members of their families to obtain multiple entry official visas for their period of stay in Latvia.
Media representatives are requested to file the documents required for accreditation with the Foreign Ministry in due time, since the processing of the documents may take one month.