- Notification of arrival and departure
- Courtesy visit to the Minister of Defence
- Other calls at the Ministry of Defence (hereafter - MoD) and its subordinated institutions
- Identity cards
Article 7 of the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations makes provision, in the case of appointment of Defence, Naval, Army and Air Attaches to the staff of missions, for the receiving State to require that the names of all such appointees be submitted in advance for its approval. Missions should submit names and a brief biography to the State Protocol, Ministry of Foreign Affairs at least four weeks before the planned arrival date.
Military personnel may be appointed to the Republic of Latvia only after the sending state has secured the Latvian Government’s consent to the establishment of a defence office within the mission. The approval of the appointment will be communicated to the Mission by means of a Verbal Note.
Notification of arrival and departure
Defence, Naval, Army and Air Attaches who have been approved remain subject to the provisions of Section "Arrival and Departure of Members of Diplomatic Missions".
Courtesy visit to the Minister of Defence
On arrival the Defence Attache should pay his first courtesy visit to the Minister of Defence or, in the latter’s absence, to the State Secretary of the Ministry of Defence.
No special accreditation ceremony is envisaged.
Other calls at the Ministry of Defence (hereafter - MoD) and its subordinated institutions
The defence attache should feel free to pay whatever calls he wishes.
The list below is meant to be a recommendation for the setting up of courtesy visits at the
Ministry of Defense and National Armed Forces:
- Deputy Secretary of State (Defence planning), (MoD)
- Director of the International Relations Department, (MoD)
- The Commander of National Armed Forces (NAF)
- The Chief of NAF Joint Headquarters
- The Commander of Land Forces (LF)
- The Commander of Naval Forces (NF)
- The Commander of Air Forces (AF)
- The Commander of National Guard (NG)
The Embassy shall request the Organisation Division at the Ministry of Defence to make appointments for the visits in advance.