Regulation No 47 (27.01.2015) of the Cabinet of Ministers provides the procedure for granting permission to subjects of international public law to use Latvian airspace for the performance of public functions by flights of foreign aircrafts within the meaning of the Article 3 of the Convention on International Civil Aviation of 7 December 1944.
These Regulations shall not apply to aircraft intended for military needs of member states of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization performing monitoring and defense. Foreign aircraft intended for military needs of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization performing battle tasks defending Latvian airspace shall be ensured priority in the use of airspace as opposed to civil aviation aircraft.
Flights of state aircraft of foreign states to, from, or over Latvian territory may only be undertaken with permission. The application for each flight shall be submitted through diplomatic channels to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs not later than 7 days prior to the anticipated entry of a foreign aircraft into Latvian airspace.
Application for a flight permit shall indicate:
A flight permit request shall indicate:
- the nationality of the aircraft, type, and the maximum takeoff weight (MTOW)
- the air operator and its address
- the flight number
- the registration number and the radio call sign
- the departure airfield, date, and time (expressed as coordinated universal time; hereinafter - time (UTC))
- the place (point of entry), date, and time (UTC) of crossing the border of the Republic of Latvia
- the air route in the territory of the Republic of Latvia
- the airfield, date, and time (UTC) of landing
- the flight number, where it is planned to continue the flight from the airfields of the Republic of Latvia airfields or to fly over the territory of the Republic of Latvia on a return flight (hereinafter - on a continued flight or a return flight)
- the radio call sign on a continued flight or a return flight
- the departure airfield, date and time (UTC) on a continued flight or a return flight
- the place (point of entry), date, and time (UTC) of crossing the border of the Republic of Latvia on a continued flight or a return flight
- the air route in the territory of the Republic of Latvia on a continued flight or a return flight
- the landing airfield, date and time (UTC) on a continued flight or a return flight;
- the flight assignment
- the communications, navigation, and access equipment of the aircraft
- the type of payment for air navigation services
- relevant information specified hereunder about the cargo carried by the aircraft:
- a confirmation that during the flight the aircraft is not carrying hazardous cargo, narcotic substances, psychotropic substances and precursors, and reconnaissance equipment
- a notification that the aircraft is carrying hazardous cargo, and documentation thereof
- a permit for the transport of radioactive substances (Class 7 of Dangerous Goods) issued by the Radiation Security centre of the State Environmental Authority
- a notification that the aircraft is carrying goods of strategic significance, anddocumentation thereof (an export licence or export permit issued by competent authorities of the exporting country, or a document equivalent to these, and the importing country's import licence or import certificate, or the end-use statement)
Application for arrival permit of foreign aircraft intended for military needs shall indicate, in addition to the afore-mentioned information:
- the aircraft captain's name, surname and military rank
- the number and military ranks of the aircraft crew members
- the number of passengers, the name, surname and military rankof each passenger
- information on the cargo of the aircraft, confirmation of hazardous cargo (for example, chemical, biological, toxic, radioactive cargo) on board the foreign aircraft, confirmation of goods of strategic nature on the foreign aircraft and their documentation (export license issued by authorised institutions of the exporting country or export permit, or an equivalent document to these, and import licence or import certificate of the importing country, or end use confirmation), confirmation of reconnaissance equipment on the foreign aircraft (in the event there is such equipment on the foreign aircraft, confirmation that it will not be used while in Latvian airspace).
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, after receiving the conclusions of the competent Latvian institutions, shall take a decision to issue a flight permit or to refuse it, and shall forward it to the subject of international public law by diplomatic means.
The Ministry should be notified by a Verbal Note or a message as soon as possible, if a flight for any reasons is cancelled
- Cabinet of Ministers Regulation No 47 of January 27, 2015 “Procedures for Granting Permission to Use Airspace of the Republic of Latvia to Subjects of International Public Law”.
- 2015. gada 27.janvāra Ministru kabineta noteikumi Nr 47 “Latvijas Republikas gaisa telpasizmantošanasatļaujas piešķiršanas kārtība starptautisko publisko tiesību subjektiem”.