Documents required when applying for a visa
If a foreign national applies for a visa to enter Latvia or for transit through Latvia, he has to submit the following:
- Passport or other travel document with a period of validity extending at least three months past that of the visa, containing at least two blank pages for affixing visas, and issued within the previous ten years
- Visa application form completed and signed by the applicant
- 1 colour photo (35mm x 45mm)
- travel medical insurance policy valid for the whole Schengen area and covering the entire period of the foreigner's intended visit in the Schengen area (see section "Travel medical insurance")
- payment or confirmation of the payment of visa application fee (see section "Visa application fees")
When applying for a Schengen visa, the applicant also submits:
- documents indicating the purpose of the journey
- documents in relation to accommodation, or proof of sufficient means to cover his accommodation
- documents indicating that the applicant possesses sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to his country of origin or residence
- information enabling an assessment of the applicant's intention to leave the territory of the member state before the expiry of the visa applied for
If a foreigner applies for a transit visa, he has to hold a valid visa of the state that he intends to enter after leaving the Schengen area, except when a foreigner is not required a visa to enter the country of his destination after exiting the Schengen area.
When applying for an airport transit visa, the applicant also submits:
- documents in relation to the onward journey to the final destination after the intended airport transit
- information enabling the assessment of the applicant's intention not to enter the territory of the member states.
Consular officers of the representations decide upon the kind of supporting documents that have to be submitted by foreign nationals. This depends on the purpose of the visit, travelling experience, ties to the state of residence or situation of the state of residence. For more detailed information about supporting documents to be annexed to a visa application, please contact the respective representation where the foreigner intends to apply for a visa, and/or check the information on the homepage of the respective representation.
Supporting documents when applying for a visa to Latvia at a representation of another Schengen state
When applying for a visa at the diplomatic or consular representation of another Schengen state representing Latvia in issuing Schengen visas, a foreign national should be aware of the following:
- a translation into English or in the language of the representation in charge of issuing the visa must be attached to the documents produced in Latvian
- an invitation approved by the Office of Migration of Citizenship Affairs should be submitted at the relevant representation in paper-form.
The inviting party will be provided with an invitation in paper-form if the diplomatic representation of another Schengen state issuing visas on behalf of Latvia is indicated as the place for applying for a visa. After the receipt of the invitation it must be forwarded to the visa applicant.
*VISA APPLICATION FORM
Application form for a Schengen visa
Online application form for a Schengen visa (accepted at the diplomatic and consular missions of Latvia in Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan)
Word.doc format (0.28 Mb)
Adobe.pdf format (2.8 Mb)
Word.doc format (1.9 Mb)
Adobe.pdf format (2.8 Mb)
Adobe.pdf format (5.7 Mb)
Adobe.pdf format (5.5 Mb)
Application form for a long-term visa
Visa application form can be completed electronically here:
Word.doc format (116 Kb)
Adobe.pdf format (87 Kb)
Word.doc format (115 Kb)
Adobe.pdf format (215 Kb)
Word.doc format (136 Kb)
Adobe.pdf format (164 Kb)
Adobe.pdf format (176 Kb)